It was thought that the gods blew on creative people, who would then inhale the god's breath and have an idea. This is the premise of "inspiration": inhaling divine breath and ideas.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

What's good? What's bad?

A simple incident in a moral science class in my eighth class created such an impact that I haven't forgotten it till now. It was a debate that no one would have given much thought before - What's good and what's bad? The topic was briefly introduced to us and we began to contemplate in our own little ways. A number of questions rang in my head. 'Is everything we are being taught by our teachers good? Is 'good' limited to what we learn or think? Can we find 'good' really in the world? If they say I am bad, do i really become bad? If I think this is good for me then does it really become good for me?' Being lost in a web of questions sometimes takes you away from the present. Thats when some people are accused as dreamers. And I too have been a victim of such accusations.

A loud strong voice shook me and I got entangled from my question web. A boy had begun answering the question of the day. What's good and What's bad? He simply said ' If a musicain finds a fallen tree, he will think of making a flute out of the wood. That is good. If a criminal see's a fallen tree, he will think of making a gun out of it. That is bad. Good is always better than bad '

All of us gave him our un-divided attention. The stillness of the moment must have made the strong impact. I shall never forget that some things can be told in such a simple manner that no grandeur shall be required to glorify it. Truth when spoken is always like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment